Thursday, February 13, 2014

Buying an iMac in Hong Kong (then back to Manila)

I registered in PhilMUG to read up on Apple's Airport Extreme router as a possible receiver/beneficiary of some early gains from trading this year. (I want to see physically the fruits of MEG and MBT... for good luck in 2014). 

I then found a forum participant asking about buying an iMac in HK and bringing it back to Manila. 

I actually did this January 2013, and was quite proud of the quick-thinking that Ive been forced to do. Im sharing what I did here, so pictures can also be included. (im not yet allowed to post pictures in PhilMUG)

That time, just less than 6 months after the latest iteration of the iMac was introduced, the price here in Manila is actually 8 - 10 K PhP more expensive than in HK. So provided you dont get charged additional in bringing Apple's famed desktop here, and you are in a business trip in HK anyway, it's indeed better to buy in Hong Kong. 

But the problem is how to avoid that extra charge (duties, taxes, and/or bribe  upon getting out of the airport)? Im willing to bet that the big, beautiful packaging of the iMac will not make you 'escape' the hungry eyes of customs officials. 

I liked the iMac but it was a semi-impulse-buy, considering Im leaving for Manila in just a few hours, and I hadnt actually prepared a full plan to resolve the duties 'risk.' 

I thought checking-in the iMac in its packaging and then taking it out of the box after the carousel in our airport is risky. Someone can see you and prompt customs official ahead, making all the hassle of dismantling the iMac out of its perfect packaging futile. Putting it in a big luggage, wrapping it in clothes is also an option,  but I already checked-in in-town my luggage ahead of my flight.

Anyway, what I  first did was to look for a luggage that can accommodate the iMac and still be okay for carry-on. (I also needed a carry-on roller that time).  I tested all cabin-legal that they have at the Samsonite outlet store at Citygate, none would fit. I then saw 6 paper bags in a corner that they were about to throw away. Asked for all six, took the imac out of its big packaging, but retained the white cloth wrap, and placed the desktop inside . The keyboard and trackpad also went in the bag (combined for strength like what they do in in grocery stores when you have heavy canned goods). I carried them all inside the plane.    

 iMac box--i left it on top of the thrash can beside the escalator at (remembered to take a picture while i was already going down)

[iMac looking small inside the multiple paper bags]. 


When i passed by the exit in NAIA T2, the customs agent asked "ano yan, monitor" (what's that a monitor?).

I said, "oho" (yes), and then walked my way out toward the parking calmly.  

This worked with the 21.5 incher, but Im sure it can also be done with the larger size.


Ive been using the iMac for almost a year now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment